Thursday, February 23, 2012

DIY tutorial - Mini Crown

This is my first Do It Yourself Tutorial! I hope that you enjoy it =) This particular one is mostly for Photographers who need a last min prop or are on a budget. If you try this out I'd love to hear how it went and see pictures! Happy Crafting!

Mini Crown:

what you'll need:
Trim - Go to Joann's! they have the best/largest selection of trim that I have found. You can use just about any type of trim that YOU like. I went for a lacy look with points because I wanted the traditional crown look.
Scissors
Hot glue (or needle and thread)
Stiffy Fabric Stiffener
Sponge brush  (or medium sized paint brush)
Optional: Rite fabric dye, rhinestones or any other embellishments you like

What to do:
Simple and sweet!
  1. Take your trim and fold it over, forming a small sized circle. This can vary in size depending on how small you want it to be. The two I've made are 2 and 4 inches across.
  2. Cut off any extra trim.
  3. Glue or Sew the two ends together. A small amount of hot glue will work just fine, I'm not a huge fan of sewing ;)
  4. Pour some of the fabric Stiffener in a small bowl. Use your brush to "paint" the liquid on saturating the trim. It will go on WHITE but drys clear. I found the sponge brush worked best. Let it dry for 30 mins. Go back and add another coat. You'll want to check it a few times and add an additional coat if you feel it needs to be firmer. I did 4 coats. Also, placing it around something to help hold it up will help. I used a small plastic cup
  5. Let it dry over night, and you're done!
Get Fancy with it:
  1. An easy way to change the look is to dye your trim! Follow the directions on the box of Rite dye. Other dyes can be used I'm sure (a friend said she even used food coloring!) get creative ;)
  2. after your trim is dyed and dried Follow steps 1-4
  3. Embellish it! Add small jewels, rhinestones, buttons, or anything else you'd like to make it uniquely yours! If you're going to add glitter I'd try adding this while it's still wet so you don't have to use any type of glue after it's dry.
Don't forget to PIN IT on Pintrest! =)



No comments:

Post a Comment